I decided to put an excerpt of the chapter I was referring to in my previous post about Philippians 3.
from Knowing God
By J.I. Packer
Chapter 2 – The People who Know Their God
They (those who really know God) never brood on might-have-beens; they never think of the things they have missed, only of what they have gained. 'But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake for Christ,' wrote Paul. 'What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whosesake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ' (Phil 3:7-10). When Paul says he counts the things he lost rubbish, or dung (KJV), he means not merely that he does not think of them as having any value, but also that he does not live with them constantly in his mind: what normal person spends his time nostalgically dreaming of manure? Yet this, in effect, is what many of us do. It shows how little we have in the way of true knowledge of God.


0 comments:
Post a Comment