Wednesday, December 03, 2008

:: Wisdom Wednesday - Remember ::






December is always a good time to look back at the year and thank the Lord for bringing us through the days, weeks and months that have past. For one, this year is quite different from the rest with little Hannah around, and many many difficult circumstances that have happened as well.
remember [zakar zaw-kar']

a primitive root; properly, to mark (so as to be recognized), i.e. to remember; by implication, to mention; (make) mention (of), be mindful, recount, record(-er), remember, make to be remembered, bring (call, come, keep, put) to (in) remembrance, X still, think on, X well.
As Hannah's 1st birthday approaches, I've also taken some time to remember the little milestones of her development to this day, even as she learns to walk. I want to remember all these not because I'm beaming with pride that my daughter is growing well. I can only be thankful that from the day she was born and even the days when she was still in the womb, God was so faithful so sustain and keep her. She is healthy and strong not because of the food I give her, but because God is good. I still marvel at how uneventful (in the negative sense) my pregnancy and her development has been to this day.

And so, today's post is about remembering the goodness of God in all of our lives. You might be thinking, my life hasn't been very smooth sailing. Well, mine hasn't really been either. But when we look at an unchanging God, He is eternally good, whether or not we deem it as so. And every situation is an opportunity to glorify God. Yes, it is!

I'm beginning to love the book of Deuteronomy because it is a constant reminder to me that God was good and faithful to His people as He led them out of Egypt, into tthe wilderness and finally the promised land. Moses repeatedly reminds the Israelites to remember all these things.
Deuteronomy 8:2 And you shall remember that the LORD your God led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you and test you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.

Deuteronomy 8:18 “And you shall remember the LORD your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.

Deuteronomy 32:7 “ Remember the days of old,
Consider the years of many generations.
Ask your father, and he will show you;
Your elders, and they will tell you:
Everything we are and have is from God, and we need to point it back to Him and give Him thanks as we approach the end of the year. When Hannah is older and begins to ask me questions, I want to be ready with all my memories of the past, to show her, to tell her, to recount all the great things God has done for our family. Right now, I just need to keep these things in my heart and perhaps be ready to share these things at her 1st birthday party!

0 comments: