Wednesday, December 10, 2008

:: Widsom Wednesday - A Great Ministry ::




Deuteronomy 4:9
"Only take heed to yourself, and diligently keep yourself, lest you forget the things your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. And teach them to your children and your grandchildren"
It was a great few days away from the usual routine. As Hannah took her usual naps while we were on vacation, I was able to devote much time to reading.

There are still many times when I wonder how all these mundane activities like feeding, bathing and playing with my daughter is of any eternal value. Sometimes I think I can do 'greater' things for God, like do more in a ministry in church, spend more time ministering to others outside the home, and so on. Or take it easy and let someone else help me with all this. After all, it's really just the small things that someone else can do just as well, if not better, than me.

It dawned on me during my reading and meditation that although I will be 'putting off' a full-time teaching job really soon, I am really 'putting on' a mothering job that will, by God's grace, last through generations. It is certainly a high calling. This ministry of motherhood is important because it will impact future generations, and not just my daughter.

Here's an excerpt I read from 'A Mother's Heart' by Jean Fleming:
Mothering can seem an isolated occupation unrelated to anything beyond the immediate needs of the family, but there is no more natural way for a mother to influence her world for Christ than through her own children. We will touch few lives with more intensity than the children God has placed in our homes. The implications of this are awesome. Time devoted to our children should not be spent marking time, but as an investment in one of our greatest minsitry opportunities. Although our children should not be the total focus of our ministry, if we neglect them to pursue other ministries we may one day find we lacked a biblical vision of mothering.
May God help me to look beyond all the little mundane things I do everyday and realise that it is a minsitry in itself, and when I am faithful in doing so, the Lord will bless not only my children, but future generations to come. Just that thought alone spurs me on in fulfiling my minstry as a mother for now :)
Psalm 78
1 Give ear, O my people, to my law;
Incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
2 I will open my mouth in a parable;
I will utter dark sayings of old,
3 Which we have heard and known,
And our fathers have told us.
4 We will not hide them from their children,
Telling to the generation to come the praises of the LORD,
And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.

I know all these thoughts are still big picture thoughts. I would like to think about how God's Word can help me in more specific issues too. That will be my challenge for next week's Wisdom Wednesday's post!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this is truly a lesson I am learning as well. More and more this is becoming clear to me. Thanks for this.

Chiao Chyi said...

I guess we're learning the same things at the same time because our babies are about the same age :)