Tuesday, December 30, 2008

:: New Year? New Goals? ::

In 2 days it'll be the year 2009. In that split second when the clock strikes 12, we will be stepping into another year. Last year, I was busy getting used to motherhood; feeding, burping, changing diapers and singing to Hannah. Her birth naturally signalled a new beginning to the year ahead. I didn't make any specific goals for myself, only that I wanted to do my best in the most 2 important roles that God has given me - wife and mother.

This year it is different again with regards to plans for the year ahead. During my short break with David, with paper and pen in my hand, I found myself writing down things that have so many question marks beside them. A new home? It'll be at least 6 months before prices begin to fall....they're currently skyhigh. I've been praying that I'll never run before God's time for this. A new schedule when I resign from teaching? ...And many more too personal to pen down. I found myself unable to make definite goals for my year ahead. It was only in the everyday things that I was able to pen down some plans. Some of these include:
  • Updating Hannah's physical and mental development, and spiritual instruction - Babies grow so fast in their early years. If I'm not careful, I'll keep doing the same things with Hannah without realising that she has so much potential for more instruction.
  • A Healthy Lifestyle - diet and exercise. This is one I do need to work on! David and I had a nice morning jog with Hannah in her pram this week. She seemed to be enjoying the morning breeze as well - minus the effort from huffing and puffing!
  • A more disciplined Spiritual Life - I've been contemplating waking up early to read my Bible instead of leaving it to Hannah's late morning naptime. In this way I can devote the 2 naptimes to administration and other matters instead of reading my Bible then and being distracted with all the things I need to do before she wakes. Anyway I do feel quite awake when I give her her morning feed at around 6am.
  • A more tidy and meticulous housekeeper (err, I mean roomkeeper). It's been terribly difficult to keep the room neat with all the stuff that keeps streaming in and out. The current mess has to do with Hannah's mountain of birthday presents that have to be put away somewhere until she can wear/play with them. Also, our library has been growing but the shelves haven't. So you can imagine the challenge I have.
So I have only small-picture plans for my new year. On second thought, all these small-picture plans will amount to big changes if I am faithful in all the little things everyday. As for the big picture plans, I am still waiting on God for His purpose and plans for my life at this moment. It isn't anything to worry about when I know God in always in control.

David also reminded me that although the new calendar year does signify new beginnings, it doesn't mean we have to evaluate our lives and come up with new goals and plans only at this time of the year. New beginnings can start anytime of the year as we seek God and His will for our lives.

Blessed New Year everyone!

"He has made everything beautiful in its time." Ecclesiastes 3:11a


0 comments: