Wednesday, November 12, 2008

:: Wisdom Wednesday - Not Able to Choose ::






My first thought was 'Oh no, it's Wednesday already?' I was just wondering how to keep up with this. I would have a tendency to find something to write about, but no, this is not the purpose of the weekly posts. I would rather share about what I've been learning in the course of the week. It is not always entirely related to my role as a mother, but God has so many lessons to teach us day by day, and one role is life is usually very closely related to another.

In preparation for Children's Camp, I have been studying the life of Joseph, reading from the Bible about him, listening to sermons, and just digging deeper into the story and how God was glorified through his very eventful life. There is so much to learn from this.

One of the lessons that struck me during this period of time was that from the time Joseph's brothers caught him and threw him into the pit, to the time he was in sold into slavery, brought to Egypt and managing either Potipher's household or Pharoah's land, he was not able to make many decisions of his own. He was only about 17 years old when it all started. He could not choose his clothes, his food, his master, his duties, his schedule etc. Yet never once did we see God recording in the Bible that Joseph was angry with his situation. In fact, we only see these verses:
Genesis 39

2 The LORD was with Joseph, and he was a successful man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian. 3 And his master saw that the LORD was with him and that the LORD made all he did to prosper in his hand. 4 So Joseph found favor in his sight, and served him. Then he made him overseer of his house, and all that he had he put under his authority. 5 So it was, from the time that he had made him overseer of his house and all that he had, that the LORD blessed the Egyptian’s house for Joseph’s sake; and the blessing of the LORD was on all that he had in the house and in the field.

It is amazing to me that Joseph was able to respond in a God-glorifying manner to all of his situations. God chose these situations for him, and the only thing he had to do was to trust and obey the Lord God Jehovah. Would I do the same if I were him? Already there are some things in life I did not choose. Am I content with where God has placed me - here and now? Personally, I usually struggle with wanting my own home so we have more space and I don't have to travel so much between my parents' place and my home now where I stay with my in-laws. I also get uptight when David has many night calls in a row or in the weekends, or we are so caught up with other things that time with each other is usually the first thing that goes. These are issues I need to commit to the Lord, and constantly ask for His grace to be content where I am.

It also made me think about God who chooses certain paths for us. He is our heavenly Father and I only need to trust Him to do what's best for my life. As a mother, I make almost every decision for Hannah now - what she eats and wears, where she goes, what time she goes to bed and who she plays with. Hannah is not currently accountable for all these decisions that I make for her - she simply doesn't have the ability to make decisions on these issues as yet. And so, I link it back to our relationship with God. If there are certain decisions that God makes for me in my life, then I am not accountable for them. I am only accountable for my response in those situations. Am I honouring Him in my response? Or am I showing my displeasure and complaining about my circumstances?

Lastly, it is recorded that God blessed Potipher's house for Joseph's sake. That is another wonderful statement. God can use us to bless others around, even if they don't believe in Him. Do our thoughts, words, actions reflect that to the people around us?

Whew that has been a mouthful. So much to think about. I just hope it is understandable. I am just thankful for these oppotunities to pen these things down.

0 comments: